It’s easy to get caught up in the high-speed, workaday, blink-and-you-might-miss-something pace of Chicago. But, thankfully, those of us who live here also cherish our downtime. Because of that, the Windy City is overflowing with calming spots to get your Zen on. Whether you’re looking for the hottest yoga studio or the coolest place to meditate, we’ve got you covered.
- Zen Buddhist Temple. If you need a little help getting centered, the Zen Buddhist Temple offers courses on meditation as well as retreats. Public services are available, as well, so you can practice what you’ve learned.
- Millennium Park Workouts. Want to work out in “Chicago’s front yard?” That’s the nickname for Millennium Park, and here, tai chi, yoga, Zumba and pilates workouts are offered on Saturdays throughout the summer for free (7 a.m. to 11 a.m. June – Sept., see www.millenniumpark.org for the schedule). Don’t feel like working out? This gorgeous, public-art filled green space is perfect for meditating.
- Om on the Range. Locals love the cleverly named Om on the Range yoga studio for the welcoming, friendly atmosphere that greets them in this former warehouse, and the sense of tranquility that follows the 60, 75 or 90-minute Baptiste Power Vinyasa Yoga (i.e. hot yoga) sessions.
- Yogaview. Travel & Leisure named Yogaview one of the top 25 yoga studios in the world. See why at this inviting Lincoln Park studio, known for its experienced teachers and individual approach. The classes, which are primarily vinyasa, are incredibly varied, welcoming people of all levels and abilities, including beginners, teen, prenatal, advanced and more. Workshops and retreats are also available.
- Yoga at the Zoo. During the summer months, Yoga at the Zoo welcomes yoga lovers to its adult and parent and toddler classes. Taking place on the nature boardwalk, you’ll be surrounded by nature. Afterwards, take a stroll through the zoo for an added moment of Zen.
- Chicago SUP Yoga. Sure, working out in a yoga studio has its place. But what if you could take those moves out on the open water? Chicago SUP Yoga leads classes on Lake Michigan, letting you breathe in the fresh air and take in the beautiful Chicago skyline while working on your balance and form.