Orlando is smack in the middle of the Sunshine State, but its tropical weather patterns mean summer rainstorms regularly drench unsuspecting tourists. Instead of spending a rainy day cooped up with antsy kids in your hotel room, explore the fun family activities, below.
- Orlando Science Center. Budding scientists will go mad for the incredible experiments at this futuristic museum. Exhibits include a dinosaur dig and space base simulation along with tons of hands-on labs. The atrium is home to live gators and turtles, and there’s a planetarium and working observatory on the roof. Plus, the Digital Adventure Theatre and Dr. Phillips CineDome show iMAX-quality digital 3D films and Hollywood blockbusters.
- Ripley’s Believe It or Not! Odditorium. Kids won’t believe their eyes when they see what’s inside this topsy-turvy house of oddities. From shrunken heads to a spinning vortex tunnel, every room in this gallery of the bizarre is chock full of exhibits and artifacts found nowhere else on Earth.
- WhirlyDome: The Home to WhirlyBall. What do you get when you combine hockey, basketball and bumper cars? Pure awesomeness known as WhirlyBall, that’s what. A team sport that anyone can pick up and play, the game can be played by both parents and kids as long as they’re at least 54 inches tall. Off the court there’s laser tag, bowling and an arcade to keep the party going once the game is over.
- iFLY Indoor Skydiving. Now anyone can soar through the air like a skydiver without having to jump out of a perfectly safe airplane. Thanks to turbo charged fans powering a vertical wind tunnel, flyers experience the thrill of weightlessness from the safety of the ground. Packages include five minutes of flying, session photos and a video.
- Aiguille Rock Climbing Center. Kids love to climb, and luckily there’s a place in Orlando where they can do just that — for hours. No prior rock climbing experience is necessary to hang out on the walls, some reaching as high as 36 feet. Climbers are supervised by expert staff so parents can have peace of mind while attending yoga classes offered on premises.