Mickey Melon at Epcot’s Future World Greeenhouse (Photo: Courtesy Disney)
Exploring the Disney parks with your family doesn’t mean you have to pack your day exclusively with kiddy stuff, but, then again, why not? There’s plenty of common ground to be found in the Mouse’s house for big and little kids alike. Here are five awesome ways to enjoy the thrill of discovery you experienced during childhood — with or without your own brood.
- Go Behind the Seeds at Epcot. In Epcot’s Future World, you can take a slow boat tour, called “Living With the Land,” to gracefully float through the fantastical gardens that feed the masses at Disney’s parks. The misters make the experience exotic and offer great reprieve if it’s a humid day. Kids’ eyes grow wide at giant “Cinderella” pumpkins and other fanciful fruits. If you pay extra ($16-$20), you can “Go Behind the Seeds” and take a one-hour tour of Disney’s gorgeous greenhouses while the kids enjoy more wild, interactive experiences like watching the American alligators’ frenzied feeding time.
- Giggle Uncontrollably While Riding Primeval Whirl at Animal Kingdom. Branded as a kids roller coaster and suitable for riders 48 inches and taller, DinoLand’s Primeval Whirl is no boring carnival spin in the tea-cups. It’s playful prehistoric premise and wacky tracks might make you dizzy, but you’ll have the whole party in stitches by the time the last dino drops.
- Hit the Arcades at the Toy Story Pizza Planet at Hollywood Studios. Thanks to its witty dialogue, “Toy Story” is arguably the best Disney film to appeal to grown-ups. This is why both kids and adults can get down at Toy Story Pizza Planet, an arcade that recreates the famous claw vending machine scene from the original movie.
- Say Cheers at Epcot’s Club Cool. When you first walk into Epcot, Club Cool provides a happy shortcut to the World Showcase by inviting guests of all ages to endlessly sample international sodas from all around the world. In the mood for something alcoholic? Grab another adult and see whose palate is refined enough to appreciate the controversial Italian aperitif, Beverly.
- Monster Mash for Your Meal at Sci-Fi Diner at Hollywood Studios. Escape the heat at mealtime by ducking into the old-time Sci-Fi Diner, where tables are fashioned as classic cars to evoke a drive-in movie feel. Cult classic science fiction films flash their fiercest (kid-friendly) monsters on an huge screen, so you and the family can enjoy faux horror and outdated special effects as you lunch.